From: cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com
[mailto:cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com]On Behalf Of Neil Zanella
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2000 5:45 PM
To: Cygwin Mailing List
Subject: Five newbie questions

Hello,

I am new to Win2K and CygWin (although not to Unix).
I just installed CygWin 1.1.4 on Windows 2000.
I have five questions.

(i)
Why do I get the following error when trying to compile a simple
ANSI C "Hello World" program?

$ gcc hello.c
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory$

(ii) I have the Borland 5.5 free compiler installed as well as the LCC
free compiler.

(iii) What flags should I use to compile a Win32 source file?

(iv) A bit off topic: What is nmake? Do I need it or can I use plain make?

(v) A friend of mine wants to install CygWin but has spaces in the Windows
    Logon user name (Win2K). Is this still a problem with CygWin 1.1.4 and
    is there a sys admin tool in Win2K that can be used to change the logon
    name to one without spaces?

Thanks,

Neil