Re: Device Drivers vs/ gcc

At 02:34 PM 10/10/2000, Stephen Williams wrote:

>Has anybody by any chance tried to compile Windows NT/Windows 2000 device
>drivers with gcc? It seems like it ought to be possible, given the DDK
>from the Microsoft web site; and the last MSVC upgrade was grizzly enough
>to make me think Cygwin/gcc would be more stable then Microsoft products.
>
>I know it sounds a bit far-fetched, but it might actually be possible?
>--
>Steve Williams                "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
>steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
>steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,
>http://www.picturel.com       And lines to code before I sleep."

I don't think this has been tried with any real gusto in the past, mostly
due to the fact that the DDK wasn't previously available for download (or
I'm guessing that was the major hurdle).  I expect there will be some real
issues with making this attempt but doing so should, at least, be a possible
exercise.  My guess is that since you'd be working on Windows drivers, there
wouldn't be a component of this that would require the Cygwin DLL.  As a
result, this effort may be better based on  Mingw (www.mingw.org)
and gcc.  You might (a long-shot) get better information if you consult one
of these lists with your query.