Re: McAfee impacting performance

--- Rick Rauenzahn <rick@lanl.gov> wrote:
> I see a huge performance hit with McAfee VirusScan 4.5.
> I know that the FAQ lists a problem with the .tar.gz files,
> but this occurs even when doing an 'ls' on any directory.
> NT's task manager shows that the program mcshield.exe is
> really hogging the cpu.  I have gotten around the problem by
> disable scanning in / (which is D:\cygwin).  But I would like
> an explanation as to what is going on.

Speculation, McAfee is being warned whenever a file is stat'ed.  Cygwin must
read header info from the files to determine file type.  So McAfee will then
scan the file when touched.  I disable my autoscanner and manually scan when
needed.

> /bin/time -v ls -l /usr/bin shows a wall clock time of 50 seconds if
> Mcafee is on!  Compare that to 4.5 seconds with it disabled in D:\cygwin,
> which still seems ridiculously long, but better than 50+ seconds.

I recently posted timings for my P2 Laptop.  If you're interested for
comparison see the archives.

> I would appreciate an explanation of this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> cygcheck -s -v gives:

Your setup looks normal.

Cheers,