Re: Does Cygwin's `-mno-cygwin' need Mingw?

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 02:51:05AM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>Does the `-mno-cygwin' option to gcc work "out of the box" with Cygwin?
>
>In other words, does the Cygwin distribution include Mingw?
>Does it need to?
>
>If `-mno-cygwin' needs some other software (i.e. Mingw) installed in
>order for it to work properly, it might be a good idea to modify the
>code for `-mno-cygwin' so that it checks whether Mingw has been installed,
>and if not, reports a clear error message.

cygwin includes a version of mingw.  AFAIK, this has been the case for
some time.

As far as "good ideas" are concerned, I've repeatedly pleaded for people
to take the mingw stuff off of my hands.  It looks like Earnie Boyd may
have volunteered to do that for some parts of the package.  I just have
to get around to giving him an account on sourceware.

>(I spent a bit of time trawling the Cygwin and Mingw web sites in
>search of the answer to this fairly basic question, but I didn't spot
>it in the FAQs.)

Isn't this question pretty easily answered by just trying to compile
using -mno-cygwin?

cgf