Re: WinNT Lockup

Farmer, Tony wrote:

> Thanks, that was definitely the problem.  When you update the FAQ, it would
> be great if you could explain why this symptom only occurs within BASH.  If
> I'm in a regular WinNT command window (with the same active path) and type a
> command that doesn't exist, it says:  "The name specified is not recognized
> as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."  I
> don't understand why the behavior would be different between the two shells.

This does not answer directly the question, but I have observed similiar behaviour on SGI:
when path points to non-existent NFS disk, it may or may not cause problems looking like
the lockup in your mail: When network is in the proper shape, there were no problems, but
when my SECONDARY DNS server was out, it took 5 minutes to open simple xterm.

I would assume that Win98 immediately bails out of the mising share search, while NT,
being that much closer to being true OS, stubbornly tries to find it anyway.

> Cheers,
> ALF

Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence
:: (512)467-0618 ext. 526 ::       Stanislaw J. Lec, trans. TJL