question re: make

hi -

i installed the latest freeware cygwin bundle (from the "Install Cygwin Now"
icon at
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/. it downloaded a setup.ext file which
permitted me to perform an
internet-based installation; which went well).

I am having difficulty with the 'make' utility. When I run 'make' against my
makefile, I get an error as
follows:

     %make
     ..\tools\jikes -classpath  ..\tools\javalibs\jdk13-rt.jar. -d
..\classes Foo.java
     make: system32cmd.exe: Command not found

If I run the 'jikes' line above on the commandline, everything works fine.
it looks like make is actually trying to complain about not being able to
find: system32\cmd.exe, but
dropped the backslash char. I tried running 'make' from both a cygwin-bash
window and an
Windows-2000 cmd.exe shell window. The above failure happens in both
contexts. Seems like maybe
it's a PATH issue; tho' modifying PATH didn't seem to help.

Any advise?

Tx,

- rich

--