Re: sh

Turns out the problem on my end is how I was trying to invoke the shell, using a full path in a shortcut.  When I put it in a batch file and changed it to the format used
in cygwin.bat, it works.

So the process is to copy sh.exe to -sh.exe and then start it with a batch file as follows:

   @echo off
   rem use drive letter where Cygwin is installed.
   c:
   cd \cygwin\bin
   -sh

If doing this, be sure /etc/profile (and any other profiles you set up) do not contain any bash'isms or that the bash stuff is isolated.  I've found that a good way to test
(for bash or ksh) is to do a test of the RANDOM variable.  In standard (sh) shells it will be empty.

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > --- Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > I don't understand the problem here. ash only checks for the first
> > > character of argv[0] being a '-' character to read the profiles.
> > > I copied sh.exe to -sh.exe as well to run ash as login shell on a
> > > NT 3.51 system on which bash crashed for some reason.
> > >

> > Ok.  I was basing my opinions on what Bob stated he experienced and previous
> > versions of other shells that check for sh in argv[0].  Are you saying that
> > copying sh.exe to -sh.exe and then executing -sh works to trigger login
> > conditions in ash?
>
> Yes. Login conditions for ash means reading /etc/profile and
> ./.profile. Note that directory ".". ash doesn't change to $HOME
> by itself so it has to be done by the parent process or in
> /etc/profile.
>
> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com