Problems with starting SSHD as a service

Environment:
Machine 1 running WinNT 4.0 sp6a and OpenSSHD
Machine 2 running WinNT 4.0 sp6a and OpenSSH
Both machines have cygwin1.dll (version 1.1.4)

Objective:
To run OpenSSHD on machine 1 as a service where the machine is just waiting
at the logon prompt, and allow machine 2 to connect to machine 1 and use
the cmd.exe shell.

Below are the scenarios I have tried and their results.

Situation 1:
Run sshd on machine 1 as a service with dummy user account - sshd starts
passwd file is set to use /winnt/system32/cmd.exe
first time I log in from machine 2 everything works great, I can run all
shell commands and other dos commands and see there results (i.e. pulist
and netstat)
second time I log in from machine 2 I can only run shell commands (dir, cd
etc.) all other command do not echo back (i.e. I can map a drive but not
see that I have done it, or I can run pulist but not see it's data).  They
run but I can not see what their output.  I have changed nothing on machine
1 between logins.

Situation 2:
Tried changing user account to system, admin, and every other option, I
tried giving the dummy user ALL special rights.  I even tried changing the
user to the same user that logs on in Situation 3. Still same results as
Situation 1:

Situation 3:
Run sshd on machine 1 manually from a command prompt - sshd starts
passwd file is set to use /winnt/system32/cmd.exe
Every time I log in from machine 2 everything works great.  Never a problem
So I know things can work.

Situation 4:
Run sshd on machine 1 as a service with dummy user account - sshd starts
(same as Situation 1)
passwd file is now set to use /bin/bash.exe
Every time I log in from machine 2 everything works great.  Never a problem.

BTW, I also tried to use inetd to start the service and I had the same
results as Situation 1.

Why is it that if I start the sshd manually or use bash instead of cmd.exe
when starting as a service everything works fine?  I would really like to
have the situation 4 results but with cmd.exe and not bash.exe.  Is this
possible?

Thanks for all your help with my past questions and thanks in advance for
this one.

Bret