ssh, ncurses and xemacs (was Re: sshd, xemacs and termcap)

ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) writes:

> Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > "Henry S. Thompson" wrote:
> > >
> > > Finally got my sshd working (thanks to Corinna and contributors to
> > > this list), but when I run remotely and try to use xemacs
> > > (xemacs-21.1.8, cygwin build) I get
> > >
> > > Initialization error: Terminal type `xterm' undefined (or can't access
> > > database?)
> > >
> > > I get a a similar error egardless of what I set TERM to, despite the
> > > fact that e.g. less clearly _can_ find xterm in /etc/termcap.
> >
> > Isn't emacs compiled using curses? You'll have to have the curses
> > library. Look at
> >
> > ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Wilson_Charles_S/V1.1/ncurses-5.0/
>
> That worked, thank you very much.

_But_, when running xemacs, backspace or delete hard suspends xemacs
and trash its terminal state.  Problem appears to be that in going to
raw mode, susp (and lots of other things) are set to ^?.  This isn't a
problem from a local terminal, because the relevant keys don't
generate that code, but when coming in via ssh they do.

This feels like a bug in ncurses, with some things getting set to -1
(== \177 when masked) which shouldn't, but a fairly detailed look at
the ncurses sources doesn't reveal anything.

Any suggestions?

ht