Re: tar question...followup

jean-hugues zorio wrote:
> Can someone confirm to me that the drive path is something like
> \Device\ScsiPort3.Raw ?
>
> If not, what *is* an NT drive path ?
>
> If yes, then I  have a problem with the syntax, as if I try something
> like:
>       mount \Device\ScsiPort3.Raw /dev/rmt

Nope. That's the syntax used in the native NT system while we
are using the Win32 subsystem. All NT native paths are sort of
translated to the outer world in an appropriate fashion for the
subsystem you're working in.

The device specific Win32 paths are those:

Tape drives:    \\.\tapeX             with X = 0..n
Raw partitions: \\.\X:                with X = A..Z
Raw hard disks: \\.\physicaldriveX    with X = 0..n

You have to use those paths in the mount table.

For tapes: Use a Cygwin device name beginning with 'n' for
no rewind handling, each other name is used as a hint to
treat the device as rewind device. For example:

mount -f -s -b //./tape0  /dev/mouth    == rewind
mount -f -s -b //./tape0  /dev/nose     == no rewind

Note the forward slashes in the Win32 path, They are translated
automatically to backslashes.

And, nevertheless, mount raw devices ALWAYS BINARY! Use `-b'
in the mount command.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.