Re: Default location for src install

DJ Delorie wrote:

> > If I select src's in new setup, they are installed under cygwin root. Is it
> > intentional? It looks, like /usr/src is better (default) choice.
>
> They install wherever the tarball says to install them.  We've been
> following the GNU convention of source tarballs installing in a
> subdirectory named after the package/version.

But, DJ, the GNU convention doesn't require that the tarballs are
unpacked from '/'.  I think the suggestion was
'/usr/src/package/version/lots-of-files' not '/usr/src/lots-of-files'

> Of course, if you can convince us to special-case source tarballs,
> we'd accept a patch to change setup to force them into /usr/src.

I don't think it was a special-case request, just a request to add a
dialog to select the top-level directory under which package/version
subdirs appear.  'Course, the source is available...

I'm not arguing for or against; personally, it makes no difference to
me.

--Chuck