Re: Cygwin 1.1: setup of info files is incomplete.

--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 09:00:39AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 02:00:10PM -0700, Masterson, Dave wrote:
> >> The 'info' command (from Texinfo) looks for "dir" (directory) files to
> >> determine what the menu is that should be displayed when invoked.  This
> file
> >> is not created by the installation of Cygwin 1.1.  However, the nature of
> >> this "dir file is such that it needs to be updated (pretty much) after
> every
> >> package installation -- it really can't be included in any particular
> >> package.  Could "setup" be adjusted to run "install-info" after every
> >> package installation?
> >
> >I agree with the above, but I think that it should be generalized.
> >There are postinstall tasks that should be one-shot (i.e., as currently
> >implemented in setup) and ones that should be executed every time (e.g.,
> >regenerating the info dir files).  The question is how to best integrate
> >the support of both one-shot and every time postinstall scripts into DJ's
> >setup?
>
> That's one question.
>
> The more important question is "Who's going to do the work?"

I'd rather teach everyone to `info --file /usr/info/foo' instead of providing a
dir that won't contain all of the files.  And install-info won't add the files
that aren't setup properly to add the menu items.  There are currently two.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com