RE: vivian hunt

At 06:38 PM 10/30/00, Ayers, Mike wrote:

>> From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) [mailto:lhall@rfk.com]
>>
>> At 01:31 PM 10/30/2000, Vivian Hunt wrote:
>> >Dear sir/madam
>> >   I recently downloaded cygwin from your site. I have
>> several files =
>> >with the extension .tar and these are
>> >opened in winzip, which won't open them for me. Can you tell
>> me which =
>> >software does please.
>> >
>> >           e-mail:    vivianhunt85@hotmail.com
>>

>> Although using WinZip is highly discouraged for any tarballs
>> downloaded,
>> it should be able to open them without difficulty.  If it
>> cannot, this
>> means that the files you downloaded are corrupted in some
>> way.  You should
>> download them again, making sure you do so in binary mode,
>> and insure that
>> the file name is <package name>.tar (or more likely <package
>> name>.tar.gz).
>> These are best installed by setup.exe but if you want/need to
>> open/install
>> them yourself, you'll want to use tar.exe which comes with
>> Cygwin (yes, I
>> realize this implies a chicken-and-egg syndrome if you don't
>> have Cygwin
>> installed already... that's why setup exists!;-))
>>

>        One can get tar.exe as ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/tar-1.12.msdos.exe
>and rename it to tar.exe.  Also available is
>ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.2.4.msdos.exe for your gunzipping
>pleasure.  However, the install script is still the best way to go.
>

>/|/|ike

Use of any non-Cygwin aware utilities for accessing Cygwin tarballs is
highly discouraged and unsupported.  While these utilities should probably
let you view the contents of the tarball, they will not understand Cywgin
symlink and mount points at least.  The proper way to install Cygwin is
via the setup.exe utility.  Newbie questions to this list with installation
problems using other utilities will receive the reply "Use setup.exe"!;-)

Once Cygwin is installed, it contains both tar.exe and gzip.exe.

                                       (508) 560-1285 - cell phone