Re: eCosCentric Cortex-M port contribution

Nick Garnett wrote:
The eCosCentric Cortex-M port has now been checked in to the
repository.

The following packages have been added:

hal/cortexm/arch
hal/cortexm/stm32/var
hal/cortexm/stm32/stm3210e_eval
devs/serial/cortexm/stm32
devs/flash/cortexm/stm32

ecos.db and NEWS have also been updated.
See the various ChangeLogs for details.

This is good news. Already checked out and tried on my evalboard. Seems to run, expect some small issues. I have had a look at you're approach to context switching and interrupt handling. It's quite nicely done, although you don't use NVIC exception handling for normal context switches during thread execution, which is something I absolutely tried to do (and had lots of trouble with :). Also, your port does not have a unified SavedRegisters structure, which mine had. But it's nice that so much is written in plain C, my port has rather more assembler code.

Another difference is your GPIO framework for the STM32. As it seems your framework does not support "chanining" multiple pins on the same pin for configuration, which mine offered. In contrast your framework offers the possibility to store the configuration directly in the pin definition, which is a nice thing I guess. I might add support for chaining multiple pins, if there is nothing against it?

My port also featured some more "helper macros". This included things like enable/disable/reset peripheral clocks, setup FSMC controllers etc. which obviously improve code readability. Is there interest to get such macros in the main repo?

Also I had done some more register definitions which I can add. I also have a working wallclock driver for the STM32, which I will port to your port :) Will it be included or do you already have such a driver in the pipeline?

Many thanks for the contribution!

Simon