Paul D. DeRocco Ãrta:
From: Reg

Thank your for your answer!

I understand, and agree with all the stuff that you wrote (the need of ISR, DSR, and the solution). The only reason why I'm calling these solutions "hack" (in the meaning, that not the best soulution (workaround) ), because the code is depending on the calling "enviroment", so the code is somehow application specific.
If for ex. semaphores could be used in DSRs, the code would be better, because the implementation of the semaphore would handle this group of questions (if you are in a thread, if you are in a DSR etc)
So in other words, when you write a procedure, you have to think about "what will call this procedure/ or use the shared resource". If only threads use a resource, you use mutex. If a thread and a DSR is using it, you have to lock scheduler or mask the interrupt or lock the specific DSR, just because no sinchronization object can be used in DSRs.

I think allowing the use of sinchronization objects in DSRs would be a great feature from eCos (would need to modify the implemetation of semaphore, mutex etc.)
+ better code quality
+ faster developement
+ less bugs...
- a bit more time/resource

So if DSRs are an interface or an intermediate layer between the "interrupt world" and the "thread world", why are we not allowed to use sinc. objects?

Ah, I see your fundamental problem. You've misread the documentation if you think all these functions aren't usable in DSR context. Most are, as long as you don't use a function that may block. Read the bit at the end of each function description in the Reference Manual for details about the valid contexts they can be used in.