From: Gary Thomas [mailto:gary@mlbassoc.com]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 5:05 PM
To: Nick Garnett
Cc: Vikas K. Prasad; David Brennan; ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] RE: ctrl-c in GDB

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 03:04, Nick Garnett wrote:
> "Vikas K. Prasad" <vikas.prasad@ittiam.com> writes:
>
> > David/Nick,
> >
> > I tried that but did not work for me. However, one interesting
> > observation is  that  after  loading the program (without ecos
> > but, redboot is present),  I put  a breakpoint at 0x18 (IRQ) -
> > and it  did  not  hit!  I am now suspecting if there is a more
> > fundamental  step  that  is  missed?  Can you please give some
> > clues?
>
> As I said before, it looks like interrupts are not getting enabled
> somewhere.

Even more important is the statement above:
  "without eCos but RedBoot is present"

If the program being run is not an eCos program, then that program
will be responsible for everything that eCos does to make ^C work.
These steps include (possibly not exhaustive):
  * Setting the port to handle Rx interrupts
  * Trapping the interrupt
  * Calling RedBoot interface to process the character to check
    for the presence of ^C

It certainly does not happen by magic and any program which expects
it to work needs to support the infrastructure to make it so.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates